Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Locked

As I was running errands today I locked the kids in the car. Yeah I felt pretty silly. While I was getting them into the car I had the keys in my hand and ended up hitting a few buttons. One of them was the lock button, the next was the panic button so in my panic, I put the keys into the ignition to shut up the alarm. I finished getting the kids into their seats, shut the car and took the cart back. As I was walking back to the car I realized what I had done and then spent 10 minutes trying to talk Michael through undoing his buckle so that I could get him to unlock the door.

When that plan failed I decided to interupt Johns meeting at work because I had no back up plan. Luckily a co-worker let him borrow his car so that he could come rescue me. Once I knew help was on the way I decided to stop expecting my 3 1/2 year old to magically get out of the child restraint system and started playing Peek-a-boo with them. Michael started getting scared and was pretty mad that we weren't at the park yet but Vivian was having a grand old time blowing kisses at Mommy.

The experience reminded John and I of the day after we bought our subaru almost 2 years ago. We were at our wards Trunk-or-Treat Party and we thought we had locked Michael in the car. We were trying to get him to push all the buttons hoping he would hit the one that would unlock the doors but had no success in doing that. He was having a blast playing with the blinker and honking the horn though. Then someone walked by and asked what was shining underneath our car. It was the keys. Yeah we felt pretty silly there too.

1 comment:

The Fishers said...

Brent locked Peyton in the car one day when she was way younger. The keys were in the ignition, the car was on, and the air conditioning was on. It was one of those 100 degree days, so thank goodness for the last one. After a passerby noticed Brent's frantic moment, she called Triple A and they sent out the fire department to help.
Peyton slept the whole time and only woke up as Brent was unlocking the door, finally.